Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fort Meade

Well, we made it to Fort Meade, after a long stint of leave-in-route. Well, it seemed long, simply because we were living out of our suitcases for almost three weeks. But, here we are!

Goodness gracious, I'm not used to living in a big city. It takes a good 20-30 minutes (or much longer) just to go on a 10-mile trip! I've never lived in a big city (Joplin, MO totally doesn't count). So far I like it, but I haven't really gotten to experience it yet. We haven't visited Baltimore, Annapolis, or D.C. yet, but hopefully we will do that soon. We snagged a great town home just off post, and we're lucky to live in a great neighborhood.

I got signed up ASAP with the Ft. Meade OSC and am hoping to make some good friends quickly. The OSC here is so much more active than what I'm used to! And cheaper, ironically. Maybe since it's such a big base? who knows. Either way, I'm thrilled to be here.

I'm hoping to get pictures of the new house up soon, and to get some blog posts up on some projects I've been and will be soon working on. We've been in our house for almost two weeks, yet there are still some boxes I haven't even opened. I bought an antique fireplace mantle last week. My goal is to get it stripped and re-painted this week, and then I will finish decorating and unpacking stuff.

At this point, I'm not sure if/when I'll get a job. The company I wanted to work for is about 25 miles away... which could easily translate to a 45 minute to over an hour commute each day. Not sure about that. However, it would greatly help us financially if we had that second income. I'll have to do lots of research and work hard to find the job that's best.

With that, I'm going to get off of here and come up with a good to-do list to help me get through the massive amount of boxes and projects that need to be taken care of.

God bless!

Hannah

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Hold the phone! I've been reading this blog for over 3 years + and i'm just now finding out your from Joplin? What year did you graduate? I'm totally from Joplin--we just moved back after husband graduated and became an LT and now he's in the MO Guard!

Angela said...

Welcome to the DC metro!!!
I live here, too. Not in Maryland, though :) In Virginia. But I'm in Baltimore and DC quite a bit. I really think you'll love it!! Let me know if you have any questions :) We've lived here a little over 2 years now. Yay!

Ellie Rae said...

From this military retiree wife: good luck!